Saturday, October 24, 2009

How I Do Run: Let Me Count The Ways..

Ok, so that was a take on my favourite poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I doubt you could ever interpret her Love in her poem was for running. Who am I kidding? Most people HATE running. Those that do run have a love for it that's often unexplainable.

Me? Yeah, I can't explain it either. You either like it (because you CAN run) or you don't (because you haven't learned yet and you CAN'T). Everyone falls in one camp or the other; there is no in-between.

So, for those who can't stand running and would rather throw themselves under a bus before even considering donning runners for their true purpose, stop reading! You'll fall asleep anyways...

For the others, here's my training schedule I've planned out:

* Run Days are Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sun (long run), in that order
* Mileage is stated in Miles not Km

2.5/2/2.5/3
2.5/2/2.5/3.5
2.5/2/2.5/4 <--- This is where I am right now.
3/2/3/4
3/2/3/4.5
3/2/3/5

Repeating each week twice takes me until the end of the year, where I'll will have built up from 10 miles per week to 13 miles per week. But after today's long run, I think I'm going to adjust this schedule so that I'll be upping my mileage just a bit more than this.

This is what I'm thinking...

2.5/2/2.5/3
2.5/2/2.5/3.5
3/2/3/4 <----- This is this week's workout!

3/2/3/5
3.5/2/3.5/5
4/2/4/6

This schedule will actually take me to Week 5 of the 12-Week training program I'm planning on following in the New Year. This is the same schedule which I followed in 2003 to train on my own for the Half Marathon I did that year. I really works! I was considering moving from this Novice schedule to the Intermediate schedule, to achieve a PR (personal record), but seeing that I haven't ran this far in a long time, it's like I'm going in as a novice anyways. Besides, if I really wanted to, I go throw in a few fartlek speed workouts on the occasional Wednesday.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment