Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Running Hopes

I have been toying with a crazy idea since yesterday, and it's consuming me.

I want to run another half-marathon.

Yes, silly, I know.

As if losing weight isn't a challenge enough, I thought it would be great if I could get into a regular running routine and run a race or two. In 2002 and 2003 I had ran several 5K and 10K events, culminating in running the Half at the Vancouver International Marathon in May 2003, and it was the time of my life! I was crazy-fit, logging in up to 20 miles per week for training. I felt fast and strong, ready to conquer the world. I was beaming with accomplishment every week.

I want that feeling again.

Mind you, haven't as so much stepped foot on the hot pavement yet, logging my miles on a treadmill, but I'm determined. I'm armed with my trusty Hal Higdon's Novice Half-Marathon guide, a few new ones for comparison, and re-reading my running bible, The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. I've even got a 2010 year-at-a-glance to figure out when the races are and how they fit in the training schedule.

Yes, I know, I've written before about running here and here but I'm serious this time....I think.

My Goal: run the Half at the Vancouver International Marathon on May 2, 2010

The Plan:

- buy new shoes (soooo important!)
- loosely follow an 8-week 10K training schedule starting Nov 1, 2009
- follow a 12-week Half-Marathon training schedule starting Feb 7, 2010

Training is hinging on the fact that I can afford new shoes. My current pair of runners have definitely seen 500 miles, even though they look pretty good for being so loved. But it's the inside cushioning that's so vital for running, and it's wear isn't apparent from the outside. This will probably set me back $150-175 a new pair of New Balance runners (LOVE them!). They have obviously discontinued my beloved 1022's, so I'm going to have to try another model. I'm not a heavy pronator, even though I have really flat feet, and if anything I suponate (roll outwards) and sometimes twist my ankle when I walk! So I need cushioning with neutral gait, without a stiff arch. Did you understand my Greek? LOL

So, there. The goal is finally in writing. That's a start, isn't it?

I feel the endorphins kicking in already!





4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Maybe I'll join you..I think my last 1/2 was in 2007?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join me! I know you ran before and you can fly down for the race! May 2nd! If I have a virtual training partner, then I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a new pair of shoes while I was in SF (sadly, the only thing I bought). Brooks Inifiti. My last pair was asics, before that NB, of course. Loved my asics, but the inifinits got really good reviews, especially for longer distances!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, REALLY? I see you've been doing your research!! I have some reading to catch up on, I see! Thanks for the tip! I'm going to head into my local running shoe store (for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called....). They fit me with my last two pairs of shoes, and I'm sure I'll find what I need there instead of going straight to the NB store downtown (though, I DO have a 10% off coupon...)

    ReplyDelete